Before dancers commence pointe work, we recommend that dance teachers and parents encourage their children to do a pre-pointe assessment. This is where our highly-trained physios assess alignment, strength and joint mobility in order to determine a young dancer’s risk of injury and suitability for pointe work. Our aim is to provide professional assessment of alignment and strength, that allow safe pressure through growth plates in the bones and developing lower limb tissues. This will ensure that dancers moving to the next level are well prepared and can focus on any areas that may need to be improved.
What is Involved:
- We can come to you. You can attend the practice at either location, or your teacher can organise for us to come to your studio for a group assessment.
- . What to bring: please wear clothing that is easy to move in. Eg. Leotard and footless stockings. If you get here in your school uniform dress, I might have to provide a ‘towel nappy’ when assessing your hip rotation! You do not have to wear ballet shoes.
- Injuries & dance practice. The physio will ask about any past injuries and what your current dance practice entails ie. Hours, intensity etc
- The physical exam. Your physio will assess your strength, range of joint movements and alignment balance needed for your performance skill
- Proactive Improvement Strategies. Your physio will discuss specific areas of limb alignment, strength and flexibility that need to be worked on
- Exercises. You will receive an exercise sheet with your exercises explained. If needed, Theraband is included in the price of the assessment.
- Follow Up. A secondary assessment may be required after strengthening exercises are undertaken, to ensure dancers are safe to progress to the next level.
b) Pre-University and Tertiary Dance Council Assessment
A formal Tertiary Dance Council Assessment is a pre-requisite for entry into many Australian and overseas dance schools, including WAPA, Qld University, Victorian College and all NZ colleges. Susie Bond, the practice owner and director, was involved in devising this assessment program.
At Activate Dance Physio we assess a student’s readiness to undertake a full-time dance course or career. This assessment includes strength, mobility, hip turn out, dance specific joint range, alignment and flexibility for dance requirements. We provide advice for dancers on how best to prepare and strengthen for a long-term dance career.
c) Pre professional and employment physical assessment
Pre-show Pilates dance conditioning & strengthening, and performance-related injury management are also key to our offering. The services we offer are:
- Pre- show Pilates & strength work
- On site visits to theatres and productions